Anyone who knows me, knows I cannot resist chocolate, and intense dark is my favorite. Every once in a while, I will be posting little tidbits related to things chocolate. So for a quick, and fun, start to the chocolate posts here are some chocolate bits for you.
- Chocolate is America’s favorite flavor. Surveys show more than 50 percent of adults prefer chocolate to other flavors.
- More than $16 billion of chocolate was sold in the U.S. last year.
- U.S. consumers eat 2.8 billion pounds of chocolate annually, representing nearly half of the world’s supply.
- Americans prefer milk chocolate by a wide margin, but dark chocolate has a growing fan base, perhaps due to its suggested health benefits.
- Men and women purchase chocolate in equal amounts. (But, since men do most of the gift-giving, women probably come out ahead!)
- According to a study at Colorado State University, chocolate is the most commonly craved food in North America. 40% of American women and 15% of American men are “chocoholics.”
- More chocolate is consumed in the winter than any other season.
- 66% of chocolate is consumed between meals.
- 22% of all chocolate consumption takes place between 8pm and midnight.
- Half of Americans choose what chocolate they eat by the shape of the piece.
- 63% of Americans say they can’t resist buying chocolate for themselves when buying chocolate for someone else.
- Chocolate manufacturers currently use 40% of the world’s almonds and 20% of the world’s peanuts.
- U.S. chocolate manufacturers use about 3.5 million pounds of whole milk every day to make chocolate.
What is your favorite chocolate?