I found this post by way of another post via another post (amazing how these things work). Chuck Palahniuk makes a challenge to fellow writers to drop certain words from their writing vocabulary and I, for one, am going to take him up on that challenge.
Anyone care to join me?
Below is a sentence up that break’s “The Rules of Chuck” (as I have decided to call them). Your challenge is to create of the perfect way to write the sentence following “The Rules of Chuck.” Write several sentences, or even a paragraph. Get creative!
- You must read the article (link at the top of this post)
- You must follow “The Rules of Chuck.”
- It must be rated PG (yes folks, I’m a bit of a prude)
- This will be open for comments forever (or until the post gets lost in the past).
Here’s the prompt:
- While playing pool with friends, Mary thought about Jake .
Here is a short list of just a few of the words mentioned by Mr. Palahniuk:
The list can go on and on, but you have a few of the disallowed word choices. So, read the article about Thought Verbs and come back and face the challenge. This is a great place to practice.